SME business quoting is laborious. But why?
Isn’t it frustrating how something so simple on paper can be made so difficult in practice? The premise is straight forward: to quote for a non-half-hourly electricity or gas meter in a small business environment requires a few vital pieces of information. A basic set of meter information from the customer, and a set of prices from the supplier. Simple, right? But the matrix pricing files issued by suppliers have major drawbacks:
- The format varies significantly between suppliers. Different terminology, obscure product names.
- The length varies significantly. Anywhere between 100 to 100,000 rows of data per sheet depending on the complexity of each supplier’s quoting mechanism.
- Commission restrictions or ‘bandings’ which must be taken into account when pricing.
- Date validity of products to be taken into account when quoting for contracts on the horizon.
- Prices fluctuate with market movements. A lot. Meaning re-quotes are common.
- The format changes, over and over again. Some suppliers have three or more different styles and layouts that the broker must deal with.
In short, it’s a total minefield, making the quoting process a drawn out affair.
So what’s the solution? The answer, of course, is software. And solutions existed even before we came along. One option is to commit yourself to an aggregator who will deal with pricing files on your behalf. You’ll get the prices, but you’ll pay in uplift. And systems available can be slow and frustrating to use, particularly when re-quoting or bulk changing commission levels. Alternatively, retain direct relationships and use a software tool to generate the prices for you. We prefer this route – and that’s why we formed UtilityClick.
Our solution is fast. Lightning fast.
We don’t think you should have to deal with matrix files. We don’t think you should have to wait to generate prices. We don’t think you should be forced to get in line behind other brokers to use old and archaic systems. We don’t think you should sacrifice any of your commission to generate quotes.
So we designed a scalable, cloud-hosted solution to solve these problems.
On average, our Instant Quote pricing tool generates 100 quotes in 5 seconds. Across every supplier, every pricing matrix, every commission banding, every valid date. Become your own aggregator, or just save time and money.
Quotes, at rocket speed. And it doesn’t cost the Earth.